Thursday, September 2, 2010

Yalla! 2010

My Fall 2010 semester as a junior at the University of Vermont has just begun and I'm ready, but not before I send a thank you.

As I sit here at dusk, with the sky a deep ocean blue and the trees darkened by a shade of green that only the forest can mix on a palette, I want to write. I want to write to thank my family and my friends. Without you I would not be who I am. Without you my seamless chatter would fall to deaf ears and my spirit would not know what it is to soar, to rise to new heights. I cannot easily explain what I feel from day to day. And words are confining. And, unless in the physical presence of one another, as a friend once told me, "they're the best thing we have."


Waking up to the sunrise, to a never-ending array of clouds taking the form of camels, castles, dogs and angels. Having the privilege to stretch my muscles that are just opening their eyes for the hours to come, to slowly cook and eat a breakfast that inspires me to write poetry, to, day to day, be included in a family that, despite long days of work and migraines, never ceases to emit kindness, patience and love. It's remarkable to the highest degree.

To go to class with the confidence that the morning sky instills and smile to hundreds of beautiful people each day, recognizing that the boundaries we place between ourselves and all others is completely self-imposed, to eat lunch with family and friends and discuss the world, its theories and magic, to talk about the day's events and to simply be with one another, To sit in a room full of other people, there for the same cause, and listen to lectures that explore the realms of electromagnetic frequencies, public speaking, social values, environmental law and even to be so fortunate as to attend a course in which food preparation, food systems explanations and taste is explored all at once....it's a blessing that makes me feel so strong and powerful that sometimes, I'm being completely serious when I say this, I need to drop and do 20.
With the beginning of such a semester, with so much about to come, I want to say
Thank you.
In deep peace,
Rebekah

No comments:

Post a Comment