Monday, June 14, 2010

The Sirius Compost (Computer Post)- a title created by my awesome big brother

Ahoy my family and friends!

I don't know how I did it... actually I do, I signed myself up for it...how I ended up here.
After having recently returned from Israel, filling an entire journal while there, I now find myself here at Sirius Ecovillage in Shutesbury, Massachusetts. Haven't heard of it? That's okay, no one else has either. But driving out here three days ago with my loving parents, I knew immediately that this place was special.

It felt like we were entering deeper and deeper into a labyrinth of trees and mystery, surrounded by houses and farms, wooded land and open fields. I didn't think that one town could be so deeply embedded in the country, for it felt like we were moving into an endless center.

I arrived to Sirius to find massive buildings that were clearly designed and built with much planning and love. Arriving on a Saturday, there were many community members around finishing up their communal lunch, washing up, talking and just relaxing. It smelled delicious.

The people were very friendly, relaxed and obviously at home. I could see some barefoot, others in aprons and children running around. It turns out that we were in the Community Center, aka. the CC. With a beautiful thick wooden beam in the center, the main room resembles a tree house. A greenhouse is connected to the end of the room where you can sit and eat, read, meditate, do whatever you want! Initially, my parents and I wandered around for a while until we were shown where to park in order to start unloading my things. Goodness only knows I'm no light packer, which is interestingly ironic considering I don't own too much...(though I suppose the state of my room could claim otherwise).
Opening the wooden door to the Long House, or as I refer to it, Snow White's Cottage, we headed straight up a flight of steps. With my large suitcase, violin, laptop, music bag and pillow, I should probably mention that the stairs are approximately 2.5 feet in width :) Needless to say, we made a tight entrance.

In my beautiful room there are three beds. I share this space with my roommate and partner in the Immersion Program (the program I'm in) and we've both unpacked and moved in quite nicely. It's very cozy. If you were to come visit me, you would notice two interesting doors. Two Secret Doors I call them. They both belong to two residents here at Sirius. Both sweet, caring and interesting women that were so helpful and kind when I first arrived, and have been ever since.
Unpacking my belongings, I noticed right away all of the wonderful and fact-filled books I'm surrounded by, "Homeopathic Medicine", "The Teaching of Buddha", "Are You a Cultural Creative?" (I stare at that one every day, still trying to figure out what that title means. You'd think I'd open the book by now?).
My stay here for the past three days has been remarkable. And extremely quiet. You see, I have arrived during the off days for Sirius community members. Here, Sunday and Monday are days of rest and the work week is Tuesday through Saturday. And so, ladies and gentleman, I am learning a whole lot about myself. I always knew I had trouble with relaxing, with not being on the go. I always have enjoyed peace and quiet and love having time to myself, and yet this is very different. I am learning how to share peace and quiet. In a sense, how to live void of the thing we might call, "awkward silence." For while there are people here, these are days of calm and peace. Each person taking time to be with their inner self and connect to what's around them. So while I've always loved to be alone and have time to accomplish my personal goals, I've never done this in an environment where everyone around me is doing it too. Where each person has a plan for his/herself and is doing it. So while one person may be in the kitchen cooking a meal and I walk in ready to cook for myself, one can just simply say, "hello" and continue about one's own business without feeling obligated to speak. You could speak if you wanted to, but you could also just be with yourself. Which, I'm learning, is so important to be able to do. Silence is a good thing sometimes and especially when you're surrounded by such beauty as there is here.

I've also been grappling with the question in my mind that asks me, "How do you, Rebekah, have the right to spend so much time simply doing whatever you'd like to do, having so much time just to be, when you know there's so much out there to do and work with?"
And my answer is, "Rebekah, you need to work on yourself, on your ability to learn to be in quiet and silence and in addition, you are here to learn many skills that you need for your future life to come. This is an opportunity that you've been so lucky to have been given and that's why you're here. If we don't know ourselves, we have no right to go out and work with others."

I've been taking many photos so far and this land is magical. There's so much happening on each leaf and rock, in each cubic foot of air, that I pause very often just to stop and watch it all.

It's interesting how these people essentially form their own lifestyle and laws, parameters and schedules. It's so neat because it makes me realize that we all create our own realities. Yes, we must work within communities and together but, for example, like I mentioned earlier, the work week here is Tuesday through Saturday and the weekend is Sunday and Monday. Some of the members work in town, in Amherst, but also in the community and each put in a certain number of hours per week. We are the makers of our destinies. Nothing has to be set in stone.

The kitchen for cooking here is huge and beautiful. There are pots and pans hanging from the ceiling, organic dried herbs and spices, a refrigerator of leftovers in reused containers (beware the labeled ones with people's name, those aren't communal!) and of course the massive walk-in refrigerator overflowing with greens, yummy weeds and eggs. Then there's the huge bulk section of dried foods, I've only ever ventured into the granola bin so far.
And how could I have almost forgotten to mention the toilets. ...Composting toilets! I won't go into too much detail, but let's just say that the smell is completely fine, the process is simple, and the Earth is loving it. (I should also say that I have named two of the spiders who seem to enjoy living in one particular toilet nearby. If you ever visit, their names are Jean and Gerry. Just to fill you in on the local scoop).

And so, tomorrow begins my first day of a Sirius Community work week. We'll begin to learn all that we're here for: (though there's much that I've learned already that only I can teach myself) organic gardening, permaculture, sustainable design/architecture, cooking for large amounts of people...a whole variety of amazing topics.

(And I almost forgot to mention, I attended a coffee house here for the first time and it was wonderful. The amount of talent in this community is spectacular and inspiring. Right before the shows were finishing, I ran outside into the dark to my cottage to get my violin. I couldn't hold back any longer, and I ran up into the room where everyone was almost ready to leave. I did a short improvisation piece on stage and the people in the room were so friendly, accepting and warm. It was a really important experience that is getting my musical juices really, really flowing).
I'm realizing more and more that no matter what your location or situation, life is an adventure at each moment. And home is an important place.
So, for now, I'm going to read and hop in bed. And that's a good thing.
Sleep well everybody. Lights off in Snow White's Cottage (after I finish reading that is :)
Thank you life,
~Rebekah Simone Gordon

3 comments:

  1. So proud of you,

    Your verklempt mother

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will have as much to add to the community as you gain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wodnerful journal, Rebecca! You're amazing! Can't wait for further postings. ~ Yuliya

    ReplyDelete